The Garden Club of Irvington-on-Hudson held its first meeting in May, 1930. From the original twenty charter members, the club now has a capacity for sixty actives and associates residing in the river towns of the lower Hudson Valley. In 1936 the club was invited to join The Garden Club of America, enabling the membership to cooperate with other GCA clubs on local and national programs and issues.
A strong interest in horticulture intensified in 1956 when Lord and Burnham rented to the club a small greenhouse on its Irvington waterfront property. The popular greenhouse activities were later moved to one of the propagating sheds at Lyndhurst. In this historic location members continue to grow and educate, propagating plants and seeds for their own gardens, flower shows, GCA’s annual Plant Exchange and a public educational Plant Sale held each May.
The principal project over the last few decades was maintenance of the Rose Garden at Lyndhurst. Restoration efforts began in 1968 and merited the GCA Jane Righter Rose Medal in 1996.In the fall of 2003, Lyndhurst resumed its chairmanship of the Rose Garden, but club members continue to work, teach and learn in this magnificent setting. Each year the public is invited to a rose pruning demonstration in late March and to Rose Day in June.
The club has been involved in many civic projects, beginning in 1932 with the landscaping of Irvington’s Memorial Park. Virtually every public site in Irvington has at some time been designed and/or planted by club members. The club also supports local and national conservation activities through active participation, donations, speakers and projects. It has educated the public about composting, native plants, invasive species and littering. Most recently, the club installed botanical labels on the trees in Scenic Hudson Park as part of the GCA Centennial Tree Project.